Sunday, June 19, 2005

dad's day

My dad has taught me many things....................

..........how to think & discuss those thoughts clearly
mind you it was taught by discussion of topics that we didn't agree on

........how to look at the bigger picture & our place in it
we are but a speck of time, and how we live (or don't) won't have much (if any) impact on that very big cosmic picture, but it does have immediate and lasting effect on those around us whom we love

............how to consider the other side and to think before speaking
that now might be something that causes me to pause for a bit too long in heated or urgent discussions, but when I do speak out now, it is more well formed & expressed because I did Think First

..........how to be happy in the Now
for that is really all we have. Right Now, this moment in time, and how we live it can make a wonderful memory, have a positive influence on those around us or be a blip that is unnoticed (which is a sad way to live)

............how to look around & explore where we are
adventure in the everyday places, we used to take longish drives once a week to see what there was to see around the area where we lived..............each week a new place & that is something that I continue to do no matter where I am...............

so as the song says...............Stand in the place that you live................that is something else my dad taught me

for all those things & so many more.............
Thanks Dad
& Happy Father's Day

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Debb.
    It makes me feel good to know that a bit of me goes forward with you and that you picked up a few of the lessons that I learned along the way. You really made my day with your comments. I'm proud to have a wonderful daughter like you.

    ReplyDelete